Monday, October 27, 2008

"some days, i think art is the only thing that saved me.."

I was reminded a little while back that I was interested in collecting samples of art therapy from other readers and was considering searching for more submissions.  Shortly after I had the thought, I received an e-mail from a 30-year-old woman, Shawna, who was intrigued by my earlier posts on art and recovery.
She was first diagnosed with AN at the age of 14.  She recalls two relapses since then (one at 17, in which she was hospitalized, and the other three years ago, where she was placed in an outpatient program).  She has her MA in Art and her work is incredible.  The meanings are almost too intense to put into words, which I suppose is the true power that comes through art.  She even says she often has trouble discussing the art and explaining the meanings to "academic types."
Below are some of the pieces I found particularly powerful from her site.

"Soul Escape"


"Friend"


"Refugee"


"War Goddess (sculpture)"


I want to post so many more.
If you would like to see the rest of Shawna's art, her website can be found here.

If anyone else is interested in sharing their art therapy works, feel free to send them to me over at emmy@frozenoranges.com.

3 comments:

Labyrinith said...

Emmy, you can't see her images, or I can't. Maybe it is a firewall on my end.
XO
K

Anonymous said...

I can't see them, either, so I went to her site and took a look. WOW. Amazing stuff.

emmy. said...

oh dammit.. sorry, no the images actually aren't coming up. i'll re-post them.

thanks, guys :)